|Before you complete your form, please read the proof of identity information. It's important you complete this section fully and correctly, otherwise your application may be delayed.|
To apply for your registration, a practicing certificate or Limited Authority to Teach please use the specific form for your situation below. These forms are designed to be filled in on screen. Printing the form and filling it out by hand might result in your application being incomplete, which can delay the application process as we will need to request further information is provided.
Please complete all the sections of the form then print, hand sign and date the relevant pages, get the necessary endorsements from identity referees and professional leaders and then send it to the Council using the contact details below with any required supporting documents. To help you make sure everything is included in your application, there is a check sheet and completion guide included in the form. And don't forget to include the application processing fee. The fee is non-refundable so please make sure you're eligible before you apply.
Collective Agreement Processing Fee Payment Forms
If you are eligible to be exempt from paying the practising certificate fee, use the form below. Once completed, your professional leader will need to sign this. If you are a teacher, your principal will need to sign the form, and if you are the principal your board chairperson/ commissioner will need to sign the form.
If your fees have already been paid, and you are eligible for a reimbursement of the practising certificate fee, you can use the same form to claim a reimbursement.
Please note – We need the original of this form so please post it in with your application or if you have already submitted and paid for your application and are applying for a reimbursement, please post this form in to the Education Council. We cannot accept photocopies or scans.
Exemption / Reimbursement Form
Effective Dates and Links for Collective Agreements
For more information on a specific collective agreement, including eligibility criteria for exemption or reimbursement, please use the below links.
- Area School Teachers' Collective Agreement 2016-2019 (8/04/16 - 7/04/19)
- Area School Principals' Collective Agreement 2016-2019 (30/06/16 - 29/06/19)
- Primary Teachers' Collective Agreement 2016-2018 (9/06/16 - 8/06/18)
- Primary Principals' Collective Agreement 2016-2018 (17/05/16 - 16/05/18)
- Secondary Teachers' Collective Agreement 2015-2018 (28/10/15 - 27/10/18)
- Secondary Principals' Collective Agreement 2016-2019 (12/05/16 - 11/05/19)
- Kindergarten Teachers, Head Teachers & Senior Teachers Collective Agreement 2017-2019 (1/6/17 - 31/5/19)
Use this application form if you:
- completed your initial teacher education qualification in New Zealand and are applying for registration for the first time. You will also be issued with a practising certificate if your application is approved.
- have previously been registered with the Teachers Council or Education Council but are now unregistered.
- completed your teacher education programme outside New Zealand and you have not been previously registered in New Zealand; or
- you have current registration or membership with one of the Australian states included in the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement and you are eligible to apply for registration and a practising certificate under the agreement.
- are registered but do not hold a practising certificate, and the last time you held a practising certificate it was in the category Provisional
- currently hold a Provisional practising certificate, and you need to renew your practising certificate
- currently hold a Subject to Confirmation practising certificate, and you need to renew your practising certificate; or
- currently hold (or last held) a Full practising certificate, but have insufficient recent teaching service to renew your practising certificate in that category.
Please note that if you are applying for STC certification and during the last five years you have not completed any teaching employment or your teaching employment very minimal (see the application form for details) you will need to provide a return to practice plan with your application form.
EC20 Application form for provisionally certificated teachers to be issued with a Full practising certificate
EC21 Application form for teachers certificated Subject to Confirmation to be issued with a Full practising certificate
- have the skills and experience appropriate to advance the learning of students; or
- have skills that are in short supply. You need to meet specific criteria - see the Limited Authority to Teach Policy
- for up to a 1 year LAT - $56.22 (including GST)
- for up to a 2 year LAT* - $112.44 (including GST)
- for up to a 3 year LAT* - $168.66 (including GST)
Identity Verification Forms