Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Support for Provisionally Certificated teachers to access Induction and Mentoring programmes

The Education Council encourages teachers to move to a full practising certificate as early as possible in their careers. A full practising certificates shows that a teacher meets all six Standards for the Teaching Profession, providing assurance of high quality teaching.

We know it can be difficult for some teachers to complete the necessary teaching service and induction and mentoring requirements for full certification. The small number of teachers who find they’ve been unable to meet these requirements within six years of being granted their first provisional practising certificate, may need targeted support to move to full certification. Our Memorandum of Understanding could be an option to help them achieve this.

English and Māori Medium mentors and PCTs needed

We have launched a new induction and mentoring pilot – Tuakana Teina – which aims to match experienced pou tautoko/mentor teachers with Provisionally Certified Teachers/Beginning Teachers. If you (or someone you know) is looking for a mentor, or interested in becoming a mentor, then we'd like to hear from you!  

Part time and Relief Teachers

The Education Council, has designed a scheme to support provisionally certificated teachers, working across multiple settings in early childhood services, primary and secondary settings and Communities of Learning│Kāhui Ako to gain Full Certification. It is for teachers who have been unable to gain full certification due to the nature of their employment who are currently employed in approximately .5FTTE.

You can download the Memorandum of Understanding here

Itinerant or Part time Teachers of Music

The Education Council has been running a programme for part time and itinerant teachers of music to help them move to full certification. If you are a part time or itinerant teacher of music coming up on your sixth year provisional certification, a Memorandum of Understanding can be downloaded here.

Have questions?

Contact us on with any questions or if you are unsure if you are eligible for either MOU.