Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Renewing a full practising certificate

How to renew your practising certificate – information for teachers with full certification.

To be employed as a teacher in a school in New Zealand, you need to hold a current practising certificate and certification in any category from the Education Council.

Check out the step by step guide to renewing your full practising certificate.

Once you are a fully certificated teacher you need to renew your practising certificate every three years. You are eligible to maintain full certification if you:
  • are of good character and fit to be a teacher
  • have completed satisfactory professional development within the last three years
  • have completed satisfactory recent teaching service
  • have been meaningfully assessed against and have met the Practising Teacher Criteria.

How to renew your practising certificate

If you have full certification, meet the above requirements and your practising certificate is due to expire, use the EC30 application form.

Applying for a practising certificate subject to confirmation (STC) 

If you currently hold full certification but have not met the requirements to renew your full practising certificate, you may renew a practising certificate in the certification category subject to confirmation (STC) using the EC90 application forms.

STC certification is a category of practising certificate for experienced teachers who, for valid reasons, have not recently been able to be meaningfully assessed using and meet the Practising Teacher Criteria.

Police clearance

New Zealand police clearances

The Education Act 1989 requires the Education Council to obtain a police vet prior to registering and granting a practising certificate or Limited Authority to Teach. On completion of the Consent to Disclosure of Information section of all application forms, the Education Council requests information directly from the New Zealand Police Vetting and Validation Service.

Overseas police clearances

If you have lived for a period of 12 months or more in any country other than New Zealand within the last 10 years, you must get a national police clearance certificate from that country, which covers the entire period of time you lived there. How to get an overseas police clearance