Finding a teaching job in New Zealand
Schools and early childhood services are responsible for employing their own staff. There is no central staffing agency and no government department responsible for staff placement.
You can apply directly to schools or centres.
All applications should be made to the employing school. In early childhood services, teachers are employed by the licensee or owner of the service and you should apply to the employing centre.
You can also find work through the Ministry of Education’s preferred teacher recruitment agencies, which offer a free recruitment service to teachers. Teach New Zealand also has useful information about working and living in New Zealand for overseas trained teachers, and information to assist graduates.
Teaching positions are advertised in a range of ways including:
- Education Gazette Online - Ministry of Education's main source of teaching jobs
- websites such as Seek and Trade Me
- advertisements in large daily newspapers (most commonly on Wednesday and Saturday) although many of these are also on the job section of the Trade Me website
- Auckland-based Oasis Education website
- Education Personnel
- Ranstad Education - National supplier of teachers across New Zealand for full-time, contract, fixed term and day to day relief