English and Māori Medium mentors and mentees needed
Are you, or someone you know, interested in becoming a mentor?
For Provisionally Certificated Teachers (beginning teachers), having an effective induction and mentoring programme is the key to building a strong foundation for their teaching career. Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to find a mentor.
That’s why the Education Council has launched a new induction and mentoring pilot – Tuakana Teina.
Tuakana Teina aims to harness the skills and knowledge of experienced pou tautoko/mentor teachers. Pou tautoko/mentors will be employed and paid (for the duration of the pilot) by the Education Council and be matched with a limited number of PCTs who are looking for a mentor. The outcome of this relationship being that a PCT will make progress towards Full Certification. A mentor might work with only one, or several different PCTs, over the period of the pilot. This pilot is from August 2018 until July 2019.
What does a mentor look like?
If you, or someone you know, meet the criteria below then we’d like to hear from you! Are you:
- A current or recent practitioner skilled in the craft of teaching
- Approachable, open and reliable
- Well-established in the skills of observation, providing feedback, encouraging reflective practice and developing co-constructed next steps
- Up to date with our Code and Standards for the Teaching Profession, and reflective teaching practice/Teaching as Inquiry
- Experienced as a mentor
- Flexible and able to commit time to supporting a beginning teaching in their educational setting
Do you know a beginning teacher who is looking for a mentor?
If you know someone who is looking for a mentor please direct them to this page for further details.
Want to find out more?
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Induction and Mentoring Project Leader Charmaine Nelson on 04 974 9063.