Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Making a complaint

When to make a complaint

In the first instance, any concerns about a teacher's competence or conduct should be discussed with the teacher’s employer.

You can make a complaint to the Education Council if:

  • the complaint is about a teacher who is not currently employed
  • you believe the employer won’t be able to deal with the complaint effectively because of a conflict of interest
  • the complaint has been made to the employer, but you are not satisfied with the way the complaint has been dealt with, or
  • there are any other exceptional circumstances.

If we receive a complaint about a teacher we consider should have gone to the teacher’s employer, we will refer the matter to the employer.

How to make a complaint

To make a complaint you will need to complete a complaint form and post or email it to the Education Council.

Complaint forms must include:

  • the complainant’s full name and contact details
  • the name of the teacher being complained about
  • details of the complaint
  • any action that has been taken
  • the outcome you would like to see from the investigation.

Complaints can’t be anonymous and if they are investigated, the teacher will be given an opportunity to answer any allegations.

Download the Complaint form.